19 July 2012

Little Garden

I've been growing a garden every year for a few years now. Up until now I've stuck with the standards: carrots, tomatoes, beans, broccoli, peppers, onions, potatoes, etc. This year I wanted to try some perennial eddibles. Something unusual, maybe difficult. I've already had my strawberries for a year and a half, but that's a pretty normal plant. After careful runner control, this year the plants are quite large and healthy. I've enjoyed several berries and my kids even more than me.
  This year I've planted four dwarf fruit trees. Dwarf types dont get very big. Like 10 feet tall max. I had a semi-dwarf apple tree when we moved in, but the fruit was sour and left a mess all over the yard. I pulled it out and now have pear, peach, red apple, and apricots. It will be a few years before I get any fruit, but when I do it will be awesome.
  I also thought I'd try asparagus and artichokes. The asparagus came up nicely and next year I'll be able to enjoy some sprouts. They take a couple years to get established, but will provide for several years after that. Artichokes have a harvest time of 180-365 days. I was not expecting to get anything this year, and frankly expected the plant to freeze over the winter. However I was very surprised to discover the other day 5 artichoke heads on my plant! I'll be eating them this season. If the plant dies this winter, I'm still happy I got one harvest, and I'll likely plant another.

Here is my perennial garden. Strawberries along the front left, artichoke at front right. apricot tree in the corner (yet to be planted), Black beans (not perennial, but it was a good spot) on the fence, and asparagus. There is a pumpkin plant, but it's not really going to get anywhere. I had garlic between the strawberries and the artichoke. They have been harvested already.
  I plan to let the strawberries take up the whole front raised area. Maybe let the asparagus spread along the inner wall a bit. Dwarf tree in the corner. Artichokes or something else in the rest of the space. Melons or cucumbers could fit.



No comments: