26 February 2011

Media Cabinet

Since we got a new TV, and I'm not a fan of a monolithic entertainment center we needed a place to store our DVDs and games. I took the old entertainment center we had (picked up for free from beside a dumpster many years ago), and cut it apart into just the shelving portion. Since DVDs aren't very deep I then cut it in half lengthwise. Originally we intended to build two shelf units from it. Unfortunately the style we wanted would not allow us to reuse the existing doors. I only needed to buy materials for paint, doors, and a backing. After reinforcing the bottom, attaching the backing, and adding shelf blocks I had something!

 The shelves came from the original shelves, just cut in half to fit. All the prep work took a long time. Lots of sanding and gluing, then wood filler. I kinda wanted a smooth surface like a veneer, but in the end we were happy with a little wood grain. I ended up cannibalizing the second set of shelves to make this one set. So we'll not get a double set. Of course the one set doesn't fit all our media, so Jen wants me to see if I have enough material to build a double wide. I haven't looked into that yet, and kinda don't want to. I'd rather rip what we have to our media server and put the originals into a long-term storage out of sight. I dont know, we'll see what works out!
 Looking to reduce the amount of wood grain showing I spread putty along the front third of the shelves. It helped some, but the grain is still somewhat visible. We decided that the end result would be black, so here the shelves are primed with black. I thought I'd need a quart of primer for just trouble spots and half a gallon of paint. I was way off! I've primed everything with a third of the quart left. After painting everything but the door I might have used nearly a quart of the finish paint. I'll certainly have black paint left over. I wonder what we'll put it on.

I ended up with two or three coats of primer, then two coats of paint (three in high wear areas). It really looks pretty nice. It will be nicer with the doors on the face! I'm still working on those. Two are primed, but still need lots of putty and sanding. The third door was kinda warped, so I'm trying to flatten it out. I'll get some pictures when I'm all done.

No comments: